China and Mongolia Country Director
at Rustic Pathways
Country Directors are responsible for ensuring success of all aspects of operations in their country including high quality programming, safety compliance, risk management, staffing, financial management, community relations, emergency response, local regulatory compliance, and liaising between RP headquarters & their country of operations. You create, develop, implement, and maintain all programs in your country for our open-enrollment, gap, groups, and spring break programs. This entails being available to respond to staff and students issues 24 hours a day throughout the duration of all programs and implementing Rustic Pathways’ mission, values, and goals. You oversee a team of staff and are responsible for creating a productive and positive work environment among your country’s team. You have the opportunity and great responsibility to engage with amazing communities and change the lives of youth and staff across the globe.
- Maintain the integrity of the overall program operation in line with Rustic Pathways' mission, vision, and values.
- Ensure all students have positive and transformative experiences in your country.
- Oversee all program development, implementation, and management.
- Deliver programs that meet Rustic Pathways student learning goals in line with curricula developed by the Director of Student Impact.
- Implement and maintain all safety protocols and procedures from Director of Safety & Risk Management.
- Implement community service projects with guidance from the Director of Community Impact.
- Ensure compliance with local regulations and customs.
- Manage staff hiring, training, and evaluation for local and international staff.
- Manage comprehensive, concise, timely budgets, and financial reporting.
- Provide financial management oversight, budget analysis, and budget recommendations.
- Ensure a successful working relationship with local partners and local authorities.
- Uphold and enforce company policies and procedures.
You will also report to the Director of Country Operations who will evaluate your performance according to the following metrics:
Outcome Metrics (75%)
- Timely compliance with directives from all global-level directors on the Program Operations Management Team.
- Demonstrated situational & cultural adaptability evidenced by successful management of diverse, challenging, and quickly evolving situations.
- Program quality as measured by Net Promoter Score & qualitative survey feedback
- Overall country revenue & profitability of operations (i.e. costs management)
Team-Work Metrics (25%)
- Motivational leader, coachable learner.
- Communicate with equal effectiveness across departments as across cultures.
- You are a net positive contributor to team morale.
- Years of Experience: 3-5 years of experience in student travel and / or experiential education.
- Education: Bachelor's degree in business administration, hospitality, travel & tourism, non-profit management, or other related field, or a combination of education and business experience
- Travel, leadership, and/or education with high school students.
- Professional working proficiency in English and additional language(s) preferred including Mandarin and / or Mongolian.
- CPR & First Aid Certification / Wilderness First Responder or higher certification preferred.
- Familiarity working in partnership with Destination Management Company preferred.
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities:
- Travel, learning, and / or education background preferred.
- Personal experience in student travel (as student or leader) preferred.
- Passion for international travel.
- Appreciation for diversity in cultures and experiences.
- Understands the value of experiential education and travel for high school students.
- Adaptable and flexible personality.
- Eager to learn from colleagues.
- Enjoys open collaboration and teamwork.
- Interested in a fast-paced, rapidly developing role with the opportunity for growth and ownership.
The position is primarily remote, but must be willing to spend time working in China and Mongolia during peak seasons.
The Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons and maintaining a work environment that is free of harassment and discriminatory conduct. All employment decisions at the Company are made without regard to race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military, veteran status or any other class protected by law. The Company takes allegations of discrimination, harassment and retaliation very seriously and will promptly conduct an investigation when warranted.