Social Media and Communications Internship
at Rustic Pathways
We're looking for someone to join our San Francisco team this fall to manage our social media accounts, create engaging content, assist in digital advertising strategies, and work on various other marketing projects The internship will run from September 5 to January 15, 2018. You will be expected to work 15 to 20 hours in our SF office during the week with 1 to 3 hours spent at home during the weekends to monitor social media activity. The specific dates and hours of the internship may be flexible depending on your academic calendar or other circumstances.
- Community management of social media accounts including Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. This includes responding to comments and questions and engaging with our audience to network and build strong client relationships
- Assist in the creation of engaging content across all social platforms. This includes writing post captions, choosing photos, curating articles, and scheduling content. All content should attract attention, generate interest in Rustic Pathways, and be easily shared
- Manage a content calendar for all platforms
- Develop strong relationships with bloggers, social media personalities, and other online influencers
- Evaluate and report on the effectiveness of social media campaigns (quantitatively and qualitatively)
- Report on current trends in social media in the educational travel industry and among teenagers and young adults
- Write copy and choose photos for ads on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Manage Rustic Pathways community inbox
- Support maintenance of content on Rustic Pathways website and blog
- Draft and copy edit other Rustic Pathways communications materials
What Success Looks Like to Us
- You will report directly to the Social Media Coordinator who will evaluate your performance on the following:
- Hitting deadlines and ability to manage time and workflow
- Creating engaging and successful social media content
- Innovating in line with our brand
- Accurately reporting on social media and advertising campaigns
- Developing relationships with online influencers
- Working proactively and independently
- Rapid response to questions and comments on our networks
- Meticulous copy writing (no typos) and posting
- Being an editorial asset to the marketing team
- Education: All applicants must be at least 18 years old and have completed a minimum of two years worth of college or a post-high school program.
- Experience: Strong understanding of social media platforms and how to create brand awareness. A keen eye for photo design and composition. Blogging, journalism, or other writing experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Active on social media sites
- Attentive to detail
- Ability to work independently and be proactive
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Fluency in English required; conversation & competency skills in another language a plus
- Personal experience in international travel (as student, leader, or for pleasure)
- Understands the value of experiential education and travel for high school students
- Sound knowledge of domestic and international travel trends
- Dedicated, analytical, patient, and solution-oriented
- Grammar and vocabulary enthusiast
- Meticulous, creative, analytical, and solution-oriented
- Strongly prefered: Photoshop, InDesign, WordPress, or basic video editing skills
- Strongly preferred: Rustic Pathways alumnus
Location: The ideal candidate would be able to come into our office in Hayes Valley, San Francisco (near Civic Center BART stop) two to three times a week. However, the ability to work remote could be possible for the right candidate.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must provide own transportation to/from work.
- Must provide own housing
- Must provide personal computer and smart-phone
Compensation: $15 per hour.
Application Deadline: August 11, 2017
Rustic Pathways is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons and maintaining a work environment that is free of harassment and discriminatory conduct. All employment decisions at Rustic Pathways are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, or any other class protected by law. Rustic Pathways takes all allegations of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation very seriously and will promptly conduct an investigation when warranted.
Each employee of Rustic Pathways is employed “at will,” which means either the Company or the employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time, for any or no reason, with or without advanced notice. No individual or representative of the Rustic Pathways can change this at-will relationship absent a specific, written contract signed by the Company’s Chief Executive Officer or designee.