Verto Education is an innovative new way for students to start their college career. Through Verto, students can study abroad for the first semester or year of their undergraduate career, while still earning college credits to keep them on track to graduate in four years. Verto also partners with over a dozen colleges, including High Point, James Madison University and the University of Oregon, to give students an admission decision and facilitate their transition on campus upon completion of a semester or year abroad.
Verto’s mission is to empower every student to spend impactful time abroad during their college career, and graduate with a better understanding of themselves, and the world around them. Verto Education is accredited through Mills College in Oakland, CA and partners with Rustic Pathways for all program operations.
Verto Field Instructor, Central America / Asia / South Pacific
Verto Field Instructors serve as academic experts to facilitate freshmen-level courses for students on our experiential semesters abroad. Through a dynamic combination of classroom instruction and experiential fieldwork, Field Instructors guide students through the following courses in which students pair theoretical concepts with real-world experience:
- Rhetoric and Composition (South Pacific, Costa Rica, Asia, Latin America Semesters)
- International Development (Asia, Latin America Semesters)
- Environmental Science (South Pacific, Costa Rica Semesters)
- Identity, Politics, and Equity (South Pacific, Costa Rica Semesters)
- Cultural Anthropology (South Pacific Semester)
- Modern Latin America (Latin America Semester)
- Comparative Philosophy (Asia Semester)
- Spanish (Costa Rica Semester)
- International Business and Corporate Ethics (Asia Semester)
- Global Health (Latin America Semester)
- Provide an engaging classroom experience through a combination of lectures and structured academic activities.
- Deliver course instruction in-person at the program locations.
- Engage with students and help them connect the coursework to what they are experiencing in the field.
- Facilitate coursework in compliance with credit requirements as set by the Course Director.
- Maintain flexibility with curriculum as dictated by a changing travel itinerary.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with Verto students, staff, and community partners.
- Evaluate students’ course submissions and provide a final marking of students’ mastery of course objectives.
- Other duties as reasonably assigned.
- MA/MS from an accredited college or university in the course subject.
- Minimum of 2-4 years of experience in college-level classroom teaching.
- A demonstrated record of teaching excellence and ability to work with undergraduate students in a close student/faculty relationship.
- Experience delivering a curriculum and facilitating experiential education with proven success.
- Must be 24 years of age or older by September 1, 2019.
- Must attend the Field Instructor training in August 2019.
- Ability to be on-program overseas from September to December 2019 and February to May 2020.
- Fluency in Spanish for consideration for courses taking place in Latin America.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Patient, enthusiastic, analytical, and solution-oriented.
- Follow through with Verto and Rustic Pathways specific documentation practices.
- Appreciation for diversity in cultures and experiences.
- Knowledge of local and regional customs and norms in program location(s) through firsthand experience.
- Passion for discussion-based learning and helping students make meaning of their experiences.
- Understands the value of experiential education and travel for young people.
- Eager to learn from colleagues and enjoys open collaboration and teamwork.
- Able to maintain excellence under pressure and ever-changing conditions.
- Able to follow organizational protocols while working independently.
- High level of proficiency with Google Drive, Skype, and WhatsApp.
Work and Environmental Conditions
- This position is based in a remote setting in one or more of our destination countries.
- The work pace is continually fast-paced and work is required for more than 4 hours at time.
- Low supervision from managers with infrequent prompts.
- Travel is required up to 75% of the time in-country.
- The environment in which the job is performed outside may include exposure to extreme temperature, noise, heights, or other hazards.
- All of the above remains the same for any additional requirements for training, protective clothing, or monitoring.
- Ability to work in one or more of our country destinations or regions for at least 13 weeks at a time during September-December and February-May semesters.
Verto Education and Rustic Pathways are Equal Opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If an applicant needs reasonable accommodation when applying for an open position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
This application will close on May 15th. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.