MIA - Airport Coordinator (Summer 2024)
MIA Airport Coordinator (Summer 2024) at Rustic Pathways
Rustic Pathways is a student travel organization that offers the world's finest experiential education, community service, foreign language, and adventure programs. Our destinations stretch from the white-sand beaches of Fiji to the rainforest canopies of Costa Rica to Australia's Great Barrier Reef, and many places in between. We provide superior quality travel and community service in some of the world's most welcoming countries for students. Rustic Pathways demands professionalism and integrity across all of our operations, insists on quality in all aspects of our programs, and places a strong emphasis on the safety and well-being of our students and staff. We empower students through innovative and responsible travel experiences to positively impact lives and communities around the world.
This position is for highly motivated and passionate individuals who value experiential education, international travel and thrive in often chaotic environments. This position starts at the beginning of June and will end in mid-August. Airport Coordinators work directly with our students and Flight Leaders in one of our gateway airports -- MIA International Airport in Miami. They ease the airport hustle and bustle as students embark on and return from their journey with us. Airport Coordinators must be able to coordinate, track, and account for every student in the airport, which can range from 40 to 200 students on our busiest travel days. They must also keep track of flight information for the domestic and international flights our students travel on. Being flexible and adaptable to ever-changing conditions regarding flight delays, cancellations, re-routings, and ticket changes are imperative for Airport Coordinators.
Airport Coordinators are usually the first person our families meet at the airport. They impact our families by calming fears and trepidations, getting students excited for the amazing opportunity ahead of them, and guiding everyone involved as students depart for their program and return to the US.
This is a seasonal, part-time (two-three days a week), non-exempt position that does not travel. This position may be asked to travel on short notice as a back-up option for sick or absent Flight Leaders.
You work with another Airport Coordinator and the Flight Leaders at one of our gateway airports - MIA International Airport in Miami - to accomplish the following:
- Protect the safety of students and abide by Rustic Pathways' zero-tolerance policy for inappropriate behavior.
- Escort students throughout the airport.
- Provide clear instructions and directions to our students and Flight Leaders about airport procedures including check-in, security checks, and departure and arrival gates.
- Give instructions to Unaccompanied Minor Coordinators as necessary.
- Account for every student on the group flight that is departing and arriving that day.
- Guide, protect, and support all students on departure and return days.
- Follow and implement all safety procedures and policies during interactions with students and potentially their parents.
- Keep the Unaccompanied Minor Coordinators, Flight Leaders, and Rustic Pathways office staff updated on student well-being and flight information.
- Respond calmly to issues as they arise.
- Act as a role model and mentor for our students by embodying RP’s mission, vision, and values
- Other duties as reasonably requested.
Years of Experience: At least 2-3 years of relevant teaching, leadership, logistics planning, coordination, or a combination of work experience.
- Must be at least 22 years of age or older by June 1.
- Must provide own transportation to MIA International Airport in Miami.
- Must live within 30 minutes of MIA International Airport in Miami for quick transportation and access to the airport.
- Must be able to work beyond the normal schedule given to accommodate students who are delayed in the airport. This may require an overnight stay at a hotel in the event of an emergency.
- In extremely rare cases, an airport coordinator may be asked to replace a no-show Flight Leader.
- Professional working proficiency in English required.
- Must complete online training
- Must attend in-person training at MIA International Airport in Miami.
- Basic CPR and First Aid certification required from a licensed provider. Classroom or in-person training only. Online certifications are NOT acceptable. Certifications must be submitted approximately 2 weeks before the summer start date.
Experience in the following areas:
- Personal experience in International travel (as student, leader, or for pleasure).
- Relevant teaching, leadership, volunteer, or youth counseling experience.
- Organizing, coordinating, managing logistics or events.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational capabilities and highly detail-oriented.
- Effective customer service capabilities.
- Able to maintain excellence under pressure and ever-changing conditions.
- Patient, enthusiastic, and solution-oriented.
- Sound knowledge of domestic & international travel trends.
- Understands airport procedures including check-in, security checks, onsite ticket re-booking, and departure and arrival procedures.
- Passion for international travel and appreciation for diversity in cultures and experiences.
- Understands the value of experiential education and travel for high school students.
Compensation: The hourly rate for this position is between $20 to $25 per hour.
Work from one of our gateway airports - MIA International Airport in Miami - on departure and arrival days of our student group flights. Schedules will vary depending on the airport location.
Rustic Pathways is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons and maintaining a work environment that is free of harassment and discriminatory conduct. All employment decisions at Rustic Pathways are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, or any other class protected by law. Rustic Pathways takes all allegations of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation very seriously and will promptly conduct an investigation when warranted.
Each employee of Rustic Pathways is employed “at will,” which means either the Company or the employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time, for any or no reason, with or without advanced notice. No individual or representative of the Rustic Pathways can change this at-will relationship absent a specific, written contract signed by the Company’s Chief Executive Officer or designee.