International Business Development Rotational Program
About the Company
Rustic Pathways is a student travel organization offering the world's finest experiential education, community service, foreign language, and adventure programs. Our experiences range from kava ceremonies in Fiji to rainforest canopies of Costa Rica, from rural Tanzanian villages to the Great Barrier Reef, and many places in between. We provide superior quality travel and service in some of the most welcoming countries for students around the world. Rustic Pathways demands professionalism and integrity across all of our operations, insists on quality in all aspects of our programs, and places a strong emphasis on the safety and well-being of our students and staff. We empower students through innovative and responsible travel experiences to positively impact lives and communities around the world.
About the Position
The program is designed to support our three core areas of business - Sales, Business Operations, and Programming - while providing recent college graduates with an opportunity to explore different career paths and build professional skills within a global, mission-driven company. The position will rotate through set modules each year, meeting the business needs of the company while building upon your professional skills and abilities. You can expect your year to look like this:
- September - May: Lead Generation and Qualification
- June - August: Customer Experience, Program Leading, Administration, or Program Management
Most candidates hold this position for two years, at the end of which they are either promoted within the organization, or ready to apply their newly developed skillset in their selected career path externally.
Lead Generation and Qualification
Grow revenue and customer base by prospecting and qualifying new teacher, administrator, or organization leads for your sales territory’s Relationship Manager.
- Drive outbound engagement efforts. Identify prospects and generate market interest by self-initiating & executing activities such as marketing campaigns, email drips, social media posts, and phone calls.
- Qualify inbound and prospected leads. Respond timely to inquiries. Advance opportunities with new prospective customers by identifying their unique needs.
- Set meetings for your Relationship Manager partner, and effect a smooth transition for your prospective customer by supporting with discovery and product requirements, product demonstrations, and quoting as necessary.
- Data mine and populate lead information from online and phone sources. Update and maintain meticulous and accurate records in our CRM.
- Consistently achieve KPIs. Partner with your territory’s Relationship Manager to ensure the quality and quantity of leads performs against sales target. Monitor sales trends and customer activity, and identify opportunities for growth and improvement.
Customer Experience, Program Leading, Administration, or Program Managing
During the summer, you will be assigned to one of the program support teams - be that customer experience, administration, managing program logistics from your remote work location, or working on our programs as a program leader. Work assignments for this module will follow company needs, candidate skill sets, and candidate preferences.
Responsibilities may include the following, based on your assignment:
- Engaging with enrolled students and parents to answer questions and ensure proper travel preparations
- Tracking and updating information and material in our backend software systems
- Ensuring communication and information flows from our customers to their program leaders, and back
- Making reservations, managing logistics, and supporting the hiring of assigned programs
- Leading programs in one of our domestic or international destinations
All employees at Rustic Pathways are responsible to:
- Embody Rustic Pathways mission, vision, and values. Represent the company as a respectful and knowledgeable ambassador of our teams around the world.
- Support or complete other work and responsibilities, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent work experience.
- 1-3 years of experience in a sales, marketing, fundraising, or other customer-facing phone-based role.
- 1-3 years of experience as a professional in an education environment, interacting with school administration (e.g., international student advisor, university recruiter, teaching language in a foreign country) or similar is a plus.
- Passion for international travel and learning, with experience in student travel (as student or leader). Appreciation for diversity in cultures and experiences. Understands the value of experiential education and travel.
- Strong self-motivation, working grit and determination. Outgoing nature with high likeability. Adaptable and flexible personality.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills. Clear and concise presence on phone, social media, and email communication. Can build rapport with school administration and teachers.
- Ability to independently set own work priorities and schedules aligned with company goals.
- Proficient with Google Suite. Able to rapidly learn and leverage software to meet business expectations. Experience with Salesforce a plus.
- Professional working proficiency in English. Additional languages (especially Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic, or French) are a plus.
Location, Schedule, and Travel
- This is a remote position. You will work from your home office, anywhere in the United States.
- Your work schedule will align with school hours in your assigned territory. From time to time you may be asked to log non-traditional business hours to accommodate international time zones.
- May include 1-4 weeks of travel annually, for company trainings, product familiarization, and customer visits.
- If working as a program leader through your summer module, the number of weeks of travel may increase.
Rustic Pathways is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons and maintaining a work environment that is free of harassment and discriminatory conduct. All employment decisions at Rustic Pathways are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, or any other class protected by law. Rustic Pathways takes all allegations of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation very seriously and will promptly conduct an investigation when warranted.
Each employee of Rustic Pathways is employed “at will,” which means either the Company or the employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time, for any or no reason, with or without advanced notice. No individual or representative of the Rustic Pathways can change this at-will relationship absent a specific, written contract signed by the Company’s Chief Executive Officer or designee.